Thursday, May 14, 2009

Crash

This week in class we watched the movie Crash. Although I have seen the movie many times before, this time I got a different experience when I watched it. When I watched it this time, i used a sociological imagination. Every scene had a different act of racism in it. It was shocking to see how many things I had not seen in the previous times I've viewed the movie. This time i saw all the little racist remarks and caught all the intertwining relationships that are in the movie. We talked about how some people are critics of the movie. I can understand how people many think the movie makes everyone in American seem like a racist, but that isn't the meaning behind it. I think that it is important to realize what the movie's underlying meaning is. No, not everyone in America is racist but racism is all around us. Without even knowing it we could be involved in a situation where race comes into play. We are unaware because sometimes race is implicit, and not directly on the surface of each situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment